If you are a homeowner, you know that plumbing problems are common. Those problems can be caused by how you use and maintain your plumbing system or simply the ageing and wearing of your equipment. It is inevitable. At some point, you will have plumbing problems. In this article, we will discuss the most common issues homeowners have. If you experience any of these, contact our Gatineau plumbers for help.
Imagine you are in your bedroom, almost falling asleep, and you hear this annoying dripping noise. You get out of bed, go to the bathroom and try to tighten the tap to make it stop from dripping, but it doesn’t work. Dripping faucets are not only inconvenient but also costly and wasteful. This is a common problem that sometimes happens because of a worn washer or o-ring. If this is the case, it is simple to fix, but if your faucet presents corrosion or has poorly been installed, it might need replacing.
Running toilets waste a lot of water (up to 200 gallons/day) and can be caused by many reasons, including:
- Worn flush valves or flapper seals
- Wrong size of flapper chains
- Issues in the refill tube
- Decayed toilet handles
Leaking hose bibb
When spring and summer come, hose bibbs can leak. If your hose bibs are not protected in winter, they can crack and leak. An excellent option to avoid this from happening is to use a frost-proof hose bibb.
This is a problem that needs fast fixing. Otherwise, the damage can be huge. The reasons for pipe leakage are diverse and includes:
- Wrong pipe laying
- High water pressure
Drainage issues are also very common, and they can pose health risks and even result in a plumbing tragedy!
- If you have only one clogged drain, it means that objects have built up there, like soap or hair. A cleaning can solve the problem.
- If you have multiple clogged drains, this means you have a bigger problem. You can be facing a sewer line issue, which means you need help to prevent a sewage backup in your house. If you notice multiple slow or clogged drains, especially in the lowest parts of the house, call one of our plumbers.
Sump Pump Malfunction
Sump Pump problems may be caused by:
- Poorly installed sump pump
- Natural wearing (they are likely to fail after ten years)
- Excess of water
- Stuck switches
- Obstructed discharge pipes
Those problems can be an external issue or a problem with the system.
Issues with the water heater
If your water heater is not providing you with enough hot water, it might be because of a plumbing issue. These are some of the possible causes for the malfunction of water heaters:
- Inadequate installation
- Problems with the electrical connections
- Failure in the heating elements
- Corrosion or buildup
Low water pressure
Low pressure can make using water in your house harder. This issue can be a symptom of worse problems, such as:
- Clogs in the drains or sewers
- Cracks or blocks in the sewer lines
- Pipe corrosion
- Pipe leaks
Getting professional help
If you are experiencing one (or many) of these common problems and are searching for professional help, contact Plombier Gatineau. Our plumbers in Gatineau can help you with any plumbing service you may need.